It’s been a bit of a crazy day.
Owen’s third birthday is tomorrow, and Pam and I have been running around today trying to get things ready.
Part of the craziness is rearranging his bedroom. We’re adding some cool new features (like a ladder that leads up to a loft area where he can play…super cool) to make his room a lot more fun to play in.
The simple act of moving things around in the room gave it an entirely different feel. I’m pretty sure he would be more excited to play in his room if we did nothing but rearrange things, at least for a few weeks.
And it’s the same way in the studio.
Sometimes the “vibe” in your home studio can become a bit stale or boring. And you become less and less excited about working on your music.
Sometimes buying a new guitar or a new microphone can really inject some new excitement into your studio, but is there a free way to “upgrade”?
I believe there is.
Just like with Owen’s bedroom, sometimes simply cleaning up and rearranging your studio can breathe new life into it…and make you excited to get in there and make stuff happen.
A few things I’ve done to spice things up a bit:
- Move the mix position to the opposite end of the room.
- Move my rack equipment from one side of the mix position to the other.
- Rearrange the other furniture in the studio (couch, piano, chair, etc.)
- Get all my guitars out of their cases and put ’em on stands.
- Steal a lamp from somewhere else in the house and stick it in the studio.
- Steal a rug from somewhere else in the house and stick it in the studio.
- Steal some candles from somewhere else in the house and stick ’em in the studio.
It may seem silly, and I’m sure it is.
But you know I’m right.
Sometimes you gotta shake things up a bit to get the ol’ creative juices flowing again.
That’s what Graham and I did last month inside Dueling Mixes. I mixed the song through my StudioLive console, and Graham mixed his song in Logic (his first time mixing in Logic).
It was a fun switcheroo for both of us.
It’s a little-known fact that Dueling Mixes members receive (as a special bonus) the previous month’s material when they sign up. So you can check out our escapades for yourself right here:
Home Studio Corner